learning with special needs

Developmental Home Licensing Arizona

Our developmental home licensing program assists individuals and / or families in applying for and maintaining a license to care for a child or adult with developmental disabilities in Arizona.

Child Developmental Homes

Home Providers care for children who cannot live with their natural family and help them achieve permanency either through reunification with their parents, adoption, or another court-ordered plan.

Adult Developmental Homes

Providers open their homes and their hearts to an adult with developmental disabilities to teach them important skills and to help them live satisfying and successful lives.

Developmental Home Licensing Requirements

Provided Support


Applicants may choose to provide care to a child or adult, male or female. The characteristics of your desired placement will be thoroughly discussed during the application process. The individuals placed in developmental homes come from a wide range of disabilities, medical conditions, and / or behavioral issues. The applicant(s) strengths will be considered when making a placement. Ultimately, Family Partners strives to make compatible long-lasting relationships for the benefit of the individual placed. 


Once an applicant is licensed as an ADH / CDH Provider and placement is made, the providers are paid for two services: Room and Board and Habilitation. Room and Board reimburses the providers for all household expenses, such as groceries and hygiene supplies. Habilitation pays for the support and training providers give to the individual placed in their home. These two services are combined into a daily rate, which will be paid every day the individual is in the provider’s home. (Providers will not be paid for times when the individual is in the hospital or nursing facility.)

Our providers are paid twice a month, but are not considered employees of Family Partners; they are independent contractors. Family Partners will not deduct payroll taxes, and the developmental home reimbursement is tax-free. Providers may work outside the home as long as it does not interfere with their ability to provide care to the individual placed in the home.

Daily Respite Stipend

A daily respite stipend is also paid to the provider to use at their discretion. It is the provider’s responsibility to identify appropriate respite providers for times when they will be unable to care for the individual (due to work hours, a needed break, etc.). An appropriate respite provider must hold a current fingerprint clearance card and be trained in CPR, First Aid, and Article 9. If respite is to be provided in the respite provider’s home, they must also pass the state home inspection. Every respite provider must be approved by Family Partners prior to providing services. Additionally, all necessary information and training for potential respite providers are offered through Family Partners.


Family Support Coordinator has two functions – to be a “regulator” and a “supporter.” Our contacts with providers ensure they are maintaining all licensing and record-keeping requirements. We also coordinate your necessary ongoing training and yearly renewal process. We will be an advocate for both the provider and the client(s) they serve by attending necessary meetings and by assisting in resolving problems. Home visits will take place a minimum of once per month.

Our Developmental Home Expectations

It Takes Commitment

The decision to become a licensed Developmental Home provider should be carefully thought out. Please take some time to consider the impact that caring for another individual in your home will have. If becoming a Developmental Home provider seems like too much of a commitment at this time, please consider other ways to make a positive impact on the lives of individuals with disabilities. Some options are – volunteer at various agencies and events supporting individuals with disabilities, become a licensed respite provider, become a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate), become a surrogate parent for a child in foster care, or participate on the Foster Care Review Board.

Thank you for your interest in the Family Partners Developmental Home Programs. Please call Family Partners at 602-997-8300 or email the Developmental Home Program Director at info@familypartners.net with any questions or to state your desire to begin the licensing process.
developmentally disabled girl

Why should you place your loved one in a Family Partners Developmental Home?

All Developmental Home providers with Family Partners go through a rigorous training program prior to being licensed.  Individuals placed in Developmental Homes through Family Partners receive exceptional care. 

Each Developmental Home provider is assigned a Family Partners Developmental Home Specialist to help support both the individual in care and the provider.  The Developmental Home Specialist ensures that superior services are being provided to all individuals being served.

Family Partners offers an incentive bonus for existing licensed developmental home providers

Our current incentive program is as follows: